Saturday, March 1, 2008

Not Salad

I have a confession to make, a confession that's difficult for a dietitian to make.

I don't care for salads. At least not salad made up primarily of salad greens. Green salads are dangerous. I've been a witness too many times to salads weighted down beneath mounds of cheese shreds, bacon bits, and croutons bobbing along in a sea of fatty salad dressing.

And I understand the need to bury that salad. Many times green salads can be bitter. While I vow one day to address my green salad aversion (I love other vegetable salads like cole slaw, beet salad, and tomato salad), for now, I'm green salad averse.

Still, I think a meal is more satisfying and filling if there are some veggies to start. Which is why I love soup. Soup is a fabulous way to start a meal and to get a good helping of veggies.

My friend Julie was kind enough to share with me the other day her very popular spinach-chickpea soup recipe. I love it. It's hearty, high in fiber, and easy to make. And it freezes well too.

Julie's Spinach-Chickpea Soup
Serves 6

1 T olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
1 1" piece cinnamon stick
1 T cumin seeds, toasted and ground
Black pepper to taste
14 oz can low-sodium diced tomatoes
14 oz can chickpeas rinsed or 2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
10 chopped dried apricots
5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
10 oz fresh or frozen chopped spinach
Cayenne pepper or hot pepper flakes to taste

In a five-quart or larger stock pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute onions and garlic until onions are limp.

Add all remaining ingredients except spinach and cayenne and simmer for 20 minutes after bringing to a boil. Add spinach (no need to defrost frozen spinach since it'll defrost in the pot) and simmer for another 10 minutes.

Turn off heat and remove cinnamon stick (very important!!!). Puree in the pot with an immersion blender or pour into blender or food processor to puree. Add cayenne or hot pepper flakes to taste.

Nutrition Info (per serving): 167 calories, 30g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 7g protein, 2g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium. To reduce sodium further, use homecooked unsalted chickpeas and use homemade or store-bought low-sodium stock or water.

Since we're talking soups, I should mention that I'm a big fan of the Penzeys soup bases. Making your own stock is always best but not always possible. Penzeys soup bases taste great and cost less that the equivalent amount of store-bought liquid stocks.

2 comments:

CityPixie said...

I'm a fan of tossing reconstituted dried porcini/chanterelle mushrooms into pasta with olive oil and fresh shredded parm. I reserve the water that I use to reconstitute the mushrooms and freeze it in one-cup portions (ziploc) to use as veggie stock later. Adds a nice earthy flavor base and would probably work well in this soup!

Bettina RD said...

That is a fabulous idea!! Great way to add flavor and reduce sodium. I do the same thing when I make mushroom risotto.