Monday, March 17, 2008

Can I Get That In Green Too?

Yes, I did cabbage last week. This time it’s green and it’s St. Patrick’s Day so I really don’t have a choice. Today, my only options are cabbage or potatoes. Since potatoes can conjure up some painful Irish historical memories, I’m going with cabbage.

Cabbage is a cruciferous veggie, in the same family as Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower. Cruciferous veggies contain indoles, phytochemicals that may be protective against cancer and promote detoxification.

Of course, the classic dish for today is corned beef and cabbage but I’m just going with braised cabbage. I’ll let you pick the protein of your choice. I’m also going to continue braising my cabbage in the slow cooker since it’s just easier that way and the low heat keeps the cabbage from getting mushy.

Simple Braised Green Cabbage
Use a 4-quart or larger round or oval cooker
Serves 6

1 medium head green cabbage, cored and thickly sliced
4 medium carrots, thickly sliced
1 medium onion, thickly sliced
¼ cup chicken or veggie stock or water
¼ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
salt and ground pepper to taste
balsamic vinegar to taste

Put everything but the balsamic vinegar into the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours. If the cabbage looks like it’s sticking or browning, stir. Yes, you can do that with a slow cooker. Once completed, add balsamic vinegar to taste.

Nutritional Info (per serving): 54 calories, 13g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 2g protein, 0g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium

If you do want to make corned beef and cabbage, you can place the corned beef in with the cabbage (although cut the cabbage into 8 thicker wedges to allow for the longer cooking time) and let it cook in the slow cooker on low for 8-10 hours. My mother (Happy Birthday, Mom!!!) likes to use a can of cream of celery in place of stock and doesn’t use any vinegar. While I admit her corned beef and cabbage is good, the stock adds fewer calories.

No comments: