Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Why Veggies?

As a registered dietitian, I counsel patients for weight loss. What's the key to weight loss? Eat less and exercise more.

Eating less. How awful does that sound? I became a dietitian so that I could discover a way to eat more and stay thin. Portion control is not my thing.

Turns out that the secret to eating more and weighing less -- and reducing blood pressure and heart disease, controlling blood sugar, reducing the risk of cancer, etc., etc. -- is eating more veggies.

Most veggies are low in calories and all veggies are high in nutrients. That's why the USDA recommends so many servings per day. My goal is to make eating a lot of veggies a way of life. I want to talk veggie nutrition and veggie cooking.

And I'm going to go beyond veggies too. Heck, I'm going to be writing about healthy eating in general. I love veggies -- and all the food that veggies can be served with too!!

Happy eating.

2 comments:

CityPixie said...

Hooray for you! Portion control is my #1 issue. Since you're an RD, I trust you -- I can go overboard with veggies and feel relatively guilt free! Yay! What about beans?

Bettina RD said...

Beans are great for nutrients and fiber -- but are portion controlled. Fortunately, a portion of beans, which is 1/2 cup cooked, is all you really need to feel satisfied for hours. 1/2 cup doesn't sound like very much but once you measure it out on your plate, you'll see it's probably about what you normally serve yourself. Plus, if you do overdulge and have a second serving, it'll fill you up more than a second serving of donuts.